Monday, July 6, 2009

Our favorite kids songs, vol. 1


WHAT NOW!!!


Living in a small town has it's share of plus items and negative items. One of the things we lack around here that bigger places enjoy is variety in radio stations. For too many years I was stuck with about 4 reliable radio options in my car. Their formats changed every so often and sometimes they would change to something I could stomach listening too. When my wife and I had kids we were pretty much stuck with CD's from the likes of the Wiggles, Backyardigans, Dora the Explorer and such. While the kids loved these infant rockers my wife and I would feel a little like captured enemies of the state forced into some mid-evil torture. Thank goodness for satellite radio! When I subscribed to Sirius Satellite Radio not only did I get several radio formats that I liked, we also got the Kids Stuff channel, now called Kids Place live on Sirius/XM. While we still get a few songs that make me long for the Carpenters, there is a good number of songs that both the kids and the adults like. When you find this rare combo you want to hold onto them like gold. For about a month the kids and I would keep a list of our favorite songs from Kids Place Live and I told them at the end of that month I would download them and put them on a CD...kind of a like a "best of" for our family. I thought why not share our little music collection for the masses that read this blog and add a little parent commentary for each track. So, without further adieu...here we go with volume 1:

1. That's How You Know - Amy Adams from the movie "Enchanted"

This is one of our families all-time favorite songs from one of our favorite movies. If you have little girls in your house I would strongly recommend renting this movie ASAP. You'll be singing this song together in no time. And don't take my word for it, it was nominated for an academy award back in 2007.

2. Hamster Dance - Hampton the Hamster

If your kids love to dance like mine do, then this song is for them. Based off the pop culture phenomenon website Hampsterdance.com this funky number has very few lyrics but a catchy beat that both kids and adults can't help to bop their heads too. One word of warning, it can get stuck in your head and cause some sleepless nights.

3. Crazy Frog (Axel F) - Crazy Frog

This is a remake of the classic Beverly Hills instrumental hit Axel F. Like the Hamster Dance this song is for those kids that like to get up and shake it. There are a couple other songs from the same Crazy Frog that are takes on old instrumental classics. See also the version of Popcorn...good stuff!

4. Fast Monkey - Stevesongs

This song falls into the category of senseless fun. It seems the artist was smoking a little bud and then decided to write a kids song, or just scribbled down some of the things he saw during his "trip". The words are easy to understand and my kids were singing along after their 3rd time hearing it. For parents it's kind of cute that you will get a chuckle out of. And don't be surprised if you aren't singing along as well.

5. The Song Of Life - Scribblemonster

This song pays tribute to the classic board game Life. I loved playing this game as a kid and just recently introduced it to my kids. After a couple of months playing the game we hear this song on the radio and it was an instant hit with us. Just think about the game and you understand the lyrics immediately. For those of you poor fools who have never played Life, I suggest playing the game and then listening to the song. You'll love both.

In my next blog I'll go into Volume II of our music hit list, stay tuned.

PEACE OUT DADS!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the others, but Crazy Frog makes me want to jump out of the car while it's still moving. My kids love Crazy Frog, but I can only handle so much dance hall techno in one day. I'll check out the rest, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have a daughter, Godwilling soon. Sure I rent the movie Enchanted, but I loved the move myself. Thanks - that's how you know :)

    ReplyDelete